Sunday, April 21, 2013

April 15th, 2013, 2:50pm

I am a Bostonian, by way of the Washington D.C. Metropolitan area. Being that my parents are military physicians, I spent a lot of time traveling and living in other parts of the United States as well as overseas in Germany.  In the 1985, terrorists bombed the airport in Frankfurt where our family was stationed. I remember walking through the airport shortly after, seeing the destruction and seeing the military police with semi-automatic weapons protecting the area. I was 8 years old and it was my first glimpse of Evil. I didn't understand fully what had happened, but I knew who ever did this was hateful, cold and crazy. Checking underneath our cars for explosives became a regular thing that you did before you started it.

We have since seen multiple acts of terrorism in our own country, which I won't mention because we all know about them. When the 9/11 hijackers took off from our very own Boston Logan Airport, I felt a chill. Evil was close.

This past Patriots' Day Monday began like any other. Patriots' Day had been one of those holidays that I didn't understand as a Boston transplant. The first year I lived here, I didn't realize that it meant that the city was transformed into one giant sporting event. Over time, I started going to watch the marathon at different locations to see people I knew who were running in it. I started to really enjoy this tradition. Boston was never so alive, vibrant and exciting as it was during the Marathon. Who would win? How crowded would it be at Copley Square? This Monday, it was surprisingly gorgeous out. I had to go to work in the morning and I decided to finish my taxes in the afternoon. I considered going down to Copley Square to check out the excitement, but the tax deadline was looming and I still had other things to do that evening, so I opted to stay home and catch the excitement next year.

At 2:50, our city was attacked and will be forever changed. Lives were lost, people were badly hurt. A harrowing, frightening week began as we looked for the who, why and how this could have happened. All Bostonians spent the week slightly on edge, knowing there could be evil still lurking in our fair city. However, video coverage of the explosions shows the people of Boston and our first responders acting selflessly and heroically, running quickly toward the area of devastation to help the injured within seconds of the blasts without regard for their own safety. The people of Boston showed considerable strength that day and the slogan; "Boston Strong" was born. Four long days after the attacks, the suspects were identified. One was killed in a police firefight, one was captured alive. We now have a long path ahead of healing ahead of us as we seek answers.

But Boston residents are resilient and in a passionate love affair with their city. The sense of ownership and pride that Bostonians feel is like no other I've experienced. Whether you grew up here, wen to college here or simply migrated here from another part of the country, the city pulls you in and grabs you by the heart. We want to celebrate that love tonight. Our love for our city and its people will outshine the darkness that has covered us for nearly a week. Let's give Boston a love letter, tonight. Join us at 7pm as we celebrate our great city. No violence. No hate. Just love.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say Something!